The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Mirror Mirror - The Wednesday Before and After Quickie

Our bathroom has about 13 linear feet of vanity which
 is was topped by 13 linear feet of big 'ole plate glass mirror.

Two words - OUTDATED and BORING!

BEFORE



After finding a product on the internet to add a frame on top of a mirror and calculating the cost of said product (about $10 per foot x 32 feet = OUCH!), I decided there had to be a less expensive way to do this project.

We purchased unfinished trim board, which my hero, SuperDave, cut it to the correct lengths complete with those awesome corner miters.

I painted the trim with two coats of black.  (I apologize that I don't have pictures of during but I'm a new blogger, so I wasn't taking pictures of every step when we did this project.)

After allowing it to dry, I brushed on a metallic bronze glaze, then wiped the glaze off with a soft cloth until I had the look I wanted. (Be sure to paint the back of the trim with the base coat color because it will reflect in the mirror along the edge) I liked this paint/glaze combo so much I used it on my front doors.

We mounted the trim on top of the mirrors along the edges with a heavy duty double faced adhesive tape from Lowe's.


AFTER

Adding this frame around the mirrors made a HUGE difference in the appearance of our bathroom and I love Love LOVE it!


Along the left side edge toward the door, SuperDave added a strip of wood to the back of the trim so that the wood came all the way to the wall and looks like a big beefy frame.



Here's a close up shot of the painted and installed frame



SURVEY!  The next thing we need to do in the master bath is crown moulding, so should I paint the crown moulding to match the mirror frame?  Or should I paint it white to match the cabinets and door trim?

Yes, the walls are now textured and painted a new color, we'll talk about that on another day.

Linking up today to the Paint Party at




Much Love and Laughter,

Laura


What do you think of that?

Follow Me on Pinterest

2 comments:

Debbie said...

I love it! I would like to do that in ours. I've just never gotten around to it.

I think you should match the crown molding to the cabinets and trim and let the mirror pop all on its own.

Sooner Laura said...

Thanks, Debbie. Hope you have time to do your own mirror frame soon, because you really will love it.