The most important things in life aren't things! Faith*Family*Friends

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pictures That Make Me Smile - Hallelujah! There's Something Growing in my Yard that Isn't a Weed

While I was sitting by the fire this winter there was evil lurking in my yard.  I didn't realize the evil forces were at work until I glanced up the side yard as I was pulling into my driveway a few days ago.  My eyes bulged, I parked the car, ran around the side of my house and nearly cried.  The landscape bed that runs halfway down the side of my house was sprouting a GIGANTIC crop of GINORMOUS WEEDS!  I'm pretty tolerant of weeds low growing alternative vegetation choices in the lawn, but what was growing in the mulched beds with the shrubs was not acceptable.

I'm talking thistle weeds topping out at over 12" tall.  These guys are definite overachievers in the weed world.  I wish I had taken a picture of these knee high monstrosities, but I was so horrified I just started ripping them out of the ground before that thought occurred.  They looked something like this.



The thistles were joined by a whole multitude of shorter weeds that while smaller in stature made up for it in their sheer numbers.

Last night after work I decided to attack the invading forces with a trowel, cultivator and even (please forgive me) chemical weed killer where necessary.  After making my way up the side of the house and turning the corner, I was hot and damp and a little tired when I glanced out of the corner of my eye and saw this!




The KnockOut Roses that I planted a couple of weeks ago were blooming!  Seeing these beauties totally gave me a second wind.  So here it is the photo that should have some lovely masterpiece name like

The Rose

but I am simply too excited to give it such a mundane name so I've decided to call it

Hallelujah! There's Something Growing
 in my Yard that Isn't a Weed



Happy Adventures in Gardening,

Laura

Comments? Anyone?

No comments: